BSW Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of jobs are available in the social work field for a person holding a BSW?

BSW students are prepared for generalist practice through the department’s curriculum and field placement. Examples of generalist practice jobs/agencies/field sites include:

  • Affordable housing programs
  • Advocacy organizations, legislators, and policy think tanks
  • Case management
  • Child care and after-school programs
  • Child welfare services
  • Community service boards
  • Emergency services (homeless services/shelters, domestic violence services/shelters)
  • Services for at-risk youth (foster care, group homes, residential living facilities, after-school programs, etc.)
  • Services for people with disabilities (including intellectual disabilities)
  • Services for older adults (adult day care, community-based living programs, home health care, nursing homes, etc.) 

How many credits (and which ones) can I transfer into Mason’s program from another institution?

Transfer credit evaluations are handled by the Office of Admissions. A useful tool for seeing how credits might transfer can be found on the Office of Admissions’ website.  

Who can I talk to about switching my major to social work?

Please email the BSW Program Director, Dr. Daniel Freedman at to schedule an appointment. In addition, you will need to complete the Undergraduate Change/Declaration of Academic Program form (pdf).